Sunday, June 5, 2011

An Extended Time Out: People Deprivation Depression, Deluded Disney Prince Syndrom, and other imaginary disorders I have self-diagnosed

Of course I'm seriously ill! I'm a Psych major, these are all real, I promise!
Well, ok, no.. not really.
Coming out east for the summer seems to be the opening of some coming-to-age novel that will eventually make the New York Times Best Seller list (paperback of course). The avid readers are bound to look forward to a lot of sightseeing, a few- or more than a few- hilariously encountered mishaps, intense soul-searching while gazing outward to the sea, wind whipping my shorn hair up instead of in my face, and of course a healthy serving of some sizzling romance. Right. Well in this paperback summer I have to look forward to, the sightseeing is limited by my sense of direction and there is a lot more Netflix than romance going on. As for mishaps? Well, the fire department has already stopped by, guffawing at me setting off the fire alarm at 7 a.m. for burning my toast and having to evacuate my whole building (7 a.m. gettin' up in the morning, gotto brush my teeth gotto go downstairs...It wasn't even a Friday!). And then the whole epic fail at grocery shopping and realizing, no, you can't live on goat cheese and angel food cake. Who knew?

As cliche as it sounds, living completely on your own is a lot lonelier than it sounds, bringing in my recent diagnosis of People Deprivation Depression. I was VERY lucky to have the most awesome roommates ever who watch Glee and Hercules with me and let me borrow their Microbiology textbooks when I have nothing to read. They are also super smart which is probably why they are in a nationally ranked dental school (just under Harvard people!) but also meaning they are studying a lot so I am for the most part left alone. I really miss people. For all my talk of not liking people, I really do need them so I don't end up collapsing on my bed with no will to get up staring at the ceiling wondering what the point in life is. Maybe that's the soul-searching that is promised but if so, I will be very disappointed. Staring at a ceiling is much less impressive than at a wide blue expanse. Turns out, I am quite a bad keep-in-touch-er. That sounds dirty but it's not, I promise. I forget to text back, FB back, email back, etc. and to all of my dear friends, and family I guess, who are reading this, I am very sorry if I have unintentionally forgot to respond. You are important! But it causes problems for me as I stare at the large tree outside my window with just my own thoughts to keep me company. I could also stare at the car dealership outside my window but I feel like it's not nearly as poetic. I need people around me otherwise I might go a little stir-crazy and I feel like the first step to solving any problem is identifying it, so I do indeed have something to work with! w00t!

I was blessed and cursed with an extraordinarily active imagination, which is useful for my creative writing class or Future Problem Solvers (Holla Alison!) but usually is quite problematic for relationships of any kind. Add in over a decade of Disney brainwashing and you have a recipe for disaster, dressing on the side. Having just watched Princess and the Frog, read the last of the Harry Potter's [HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2 COMES OUT IN 39 DAYS!] and being an expert on the subject of emotional turmoil, I was thinking about the whole concept of the modern fairytale. I know that personally, I love a little tragedy- Snape and Lily are right up there with Jay Gatsby and Daisy Buchanan, I don't know, perhaps because it is more real? But wouldn't we all like to think that a Prince Naveen or Prince Eric or even an Aladdin is out there willing to be forever a frog, battling a sea monster, or fighting a supercreep like Jafar for you? There is even hope that someone who suppresses their emotions and is so clueless as to how to deal with their feelings as the Beast can have a fairytale ending! Excluding the fairy-princess, talking candlesticks, clocks, and teapots of course... I won't go too much into it because I feel that this topic deserves its own entry but it has been on my mind- what do you really expect? Especially with all the weddings that have been going on (I have seen 3, my supervisor just got married last year, the girl with whom I work's sister is getting married in a couple of weeks and she just went to a wedding this weekend) all this mushy-gushy relationship stuff, I'm really not sure what to think. I can't help feeling a sense of foreboding, like I need to figure it out soon or drop it all together. As the great meerkat Timon would put it "with all these romantic happenings, disaster's in the air." Maybe this is just part of the whole 'process'. All I need to do is find a sea to look out to.
I have 2.5 months left and hopefully by the end, I will have something worthwhile for the New York Times Best sellers list. Paperback of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment